Monday, August 18, 2014

5e killed my retro clone and I am glad and a blog change

Like a lot of bloggers in the OSR community I've had the notion of rolling my own clone game.

I've done this before as a kid adapting AD&D to various genres and so somewhere deep inside my inner 12 year old is the silly idea that I can do it Better!

Well to be honest, while I could write Yet Another Retro Clone, there is nothing in my idiosyncratic edition that would be meaningfully better than anything out there.

In fact most of what I might want to do in my game, backgrounds, no magic items by  default, simpler char gen and so on have been nicely covered by 5th edition.  What little I lack is a paragraph or two of house rules. That's it.

Having gone through all the fantastic retro clones, Swords and Wizardry. Labyrinth Lord, Fantastic Heroes of Swords and Witchery , Grey 6 and many other great games  I haven't mentioned  and don't mean to denigrate  or ignore  I realized that the most current edition, #5  works well for me.

 Therefore it makes sense for me to not make another game and to instead support and existing one and as  such I'll support 5e on the occasion I write posts

Old stuff (like OS2 Warped) and Pathfinder stuff will stay up and of course GURPS stuff and other non D&D games won't be effected but until further notice 5e is my default with generic OSR stats where appropriate .

Hope you'll stay with me and good gaming.





No comments:

Post a Comment