Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Asking the Old School Question to my Players

I finally got around to asking the dreaded "Interested in an old school game" question to my players.This group is a little younger than me and grew up with 2e so I am sure those expectations colored their decision here.

I explained the "thinking on your feet, exploration and simplified play" motifs to them and they answered with a resounding meh...

One of my players explained "Look 2e is cool, we'd play that and you run a good game but we'd rather have more mechanical support for actions and options. Honestly describing how traps are disarmed and exploring and all that doesn't sound that fun"

I can't say I really blame them with an ample selection of play opportunities out there and little cultural contact with the Old School style there is little draw for that sort of thing. Even the mighty old names like Demon Web Pits or Keep on the Borderlands are far too distant for them ..

Ah well. I am going to pitch E6 or E8 to them and see where that goes next. I think they might like it.

2 comments:

  1. Not a surprising reaction really. Still, to not be prepared to even try it is lamentable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understandable though. They have other games going both table top and LARP so when time is limited why waste it on something that may not satisfy?

    On the whole I think that E6 or E8 will satisfy me and them and its close enough for GM, that is gamemaster not government work ;)

    ReplyDelete