Saturday, March 17, 2012

M.A.R. Barker has passed

I'll link to Grognardia for this one.

Professor Barker was one of the founding fathers of our hobby, maybe not as well known as Gygax and Arneson but quite important in his own way.

His creation, the fabulous alien science fantasy world Tekumel showed the power of world building and imagination in new lights and that Role Playing is not all "Western"

That world was never my cup of tea, but his novel Man of Gold was excellent and the joy of craft could clearly be seen in his work.

He will be missed.

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, and to my shame, I hadn't heard of this gentleman until your posting. Nevertheless, it is always sad when a brilliant and creative mind leaves our mortal realm, but at least he leaves a legacy of work for us to enjoy from now and into our own sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for chiming in and I am glad I was able to introduce you to M.A.R. Barker.

    ReplyDelete