Monday, March 14, 2011

The Only Place I Absolutely Insist on Realism, Item Weights

Item weights once place I insist the game rules need to more or less match reality.

I've handled waterskins, mail armor, shields, historical swords, leather packs, food similar to iron rations and lots more. I know what they weigh and there is no way that I am going to be able to ignore nonsense like 10lb swords (like 2e Bastard Sword) and 100lb armor. And yes as much as I loved old school these days, item weights well, were one of the clear cut cases of "Good Old Days Weren't" with old school games.


Happily I have plenty of information on better weights and am not at the mercy of game writers who research was well, lacking.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be interested in this as well. Can you point me to some better weight numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GURPS Low Tec 4th edition has has researched numbers for most everything. Combined with GURPS Basic and possibly "And a Ten Foot Pole" if you use metric you will have the weights of pretty much everything

    However I'll try to come up with some easy ones for a post down the line.

    ReplyDelete