Old School House Rule #3 Detect Magic and Read Magic are class abilities not spells
This is not one of my regular house rules but back in the 2e says we did this fairly often. It gave magic users a "has the gift" flavor and never proved to be unbalanced.
Interesting how similar our house rules have been. If you are ever in my part of So-Cal when I am running 2e again I'll have to save a space for you at my table.
Happy Hobbit Day
-
Today is the birthday of those two most famous of all hobbits: Bilbo and
Frodo Baggins. Hence, ‘*Hobbit Day*’. Also, yesterday (21 September 2026)
was th...
[New Magic Item] Orc Talker Stick
-
Orc Talker Stick ‘Hey, I found a few lizardfolk willing to scout ahead for
us,’ Thoz said, holding the strange wand topped with a brass orc head. The
other...
Why is the Ogre there?
-
Joe's post on the Quantum Ogre raises an old question about sandbox play:
when does moving an encounter around interfere with players' freedom to
decide...
Draw Steel Monsters on a Credit Card
-
Click to get it full-sizefront and back! I’m the guy who does “monsters on
a business card” posts, and I just started at MCDM, so I should probably do
a Dr...
Game Day
-
Nope. Not football. *Futbol*.
The school soccer season kicks off today...this will be my 4th season
coaching my daughter's team, my tenth year coaching my ...
Battle has Annihilated the Best
-
Though almost all of my modeling efforts have focused on Bolt Action for
the last several years, I have mixed other things in there every now and
again -...
Micro-Adventure - #114 RATS!
-
Dungeon tropes are a thing to embrace, not to dismiss. It's simple to
handwave the storm the orc infested tower to save the princess, evil wizard
in a t...
On a Happy New Year
-
We are about to experience the most social upheaval since industrialization.
What will that look like in sixty years?
Sinless is starting it's third yea...
Meet the New Blog
-
Harbinger of Doom got its start in Blogger back in November of 2010. Web
design standards have moved on and left it looking a bit long in the tooth.
Theref...
The Old School (Hyperborean) Renaissance
-
Are these poorly-masked adventure hooks? Yes, yes they are.
For the last century a peculiar fever has gripped the learned societies of
Marlinko, Kezmaro...
Angels, Demons and Subtle Bodies
-
It’s delightful when D&D-isms sometimes converge with ancient wisdom, even
accidentally. I was watching a video from Jonathan Pageau earlier today
concerni...
'It Has Killing In It'
-
What was the first piece of media you consumed which 'had killing in it'?
I ask because a certain girl I happen to know has recently been reading the
*W...
You Suffer--But Why?
-
*My Weird, Dark, Twisted Habit*
Seventeen years ago. (Seventeen years ago?) When I started this blog, that
is, when I decided to take on another thing ...
BX DMG Table: Cart & Wagon Encumbrance
-
The other day, I saw that Erik Tenkar shared a video post about how many
mules it would take to haul away the average dragon's hoard (Treasure Type
H). I...
There Were Dice
-
I started my Spelljammer game last weekend. It was my first time DMing
since December 2021. I wasn't as rusty as I thought I was going to be, but
I *was ...
Another week in the life of GURPS
-
This week is named Hugh. The news:
• Another week balanced between writing and project management on things I
can't share right now.
• My updates to the W...
Can I Use NIGHT SHIFT for an SCP Tabletop RPG?
-
Crossposted to the *Elf Lair Games* blog.
My kids got me into SCP.
Or, more accurately, they told me all about it, pointed me toward the Wiki,
and then ...
I use a variation of this and have had no problems with it.
ReplyDeleteInteresting how similar our house rules have been. If you are ever in my part of So-Cal when I am running 2e again I'll have to save a space for you at my table.
ReplyDelete