This one is easy. I like GURPS, my players are not familiar with old school (they are on the young side) and like GURPS, one players knows enough to co-GM . It works for all of us. If i game with these guys long enough, I'll eventually get them and a few other people into Angel/Buffy, Pathfinder or Old School D&D but till then, GURPS will do nicely
I think if you're using GURPS now, you've won. No need to move to anything else. Most other accounts report that the other guys in the group would play anything but GURPS. I wish I had your group/luck.
GURPS isn't "old-school" becasue it is still supported by it's original publisher in a version of the game that still resembles the original release. Sounds like a silly argument really, but that's got to be it right?
Happy Hobbit Day
-
Today is the birthday of those two most famous of all hobbits: Bilbo and
Frodo Baggins. Hence, ‘*Hobbit Day*’. Also, yesterday (21 September 2026)
was th...
[New Encounter] The Giant’s Pocket
-
The Giant’s Pocket Scratching his chin, Jhelko contemplated the humongous
leather bag before them.‘There are no tracks around it,’ said Niff the
halfling.‘...
Why is the Ogre there?
-
Joe's post on the Quantum Ogre raises an old question about sandbox play:
when does moving an encounter around interfere with players' freedom to
decide...
Draw Steel Monsters on a Credit Card
-
Click to get it full-sizefront and back! I’m the guy who does “monsters on
a business card” posts, and I just started at MCDM, so I should probably do
a Dr...
Game Day
-
Nope. Not football. *Futbol*.
The school soccer season kicks off today...this will be my 4th season
coaching my daughter's team, my tenth year coaching my ...
Battle has Annihilated the Best
-
Though almost all of my modeling efforts have focused on Bolt Action for
the last several years, I have mixed other things in there every now and
again -...
Micro-Adventure - #114 RATS!
-
Dungeon tropes are a thing to embrace, not to dismiss. It's simple to
handwave the storm the orc infested tower to save the princess, evil wizard
in a t...
On a Happy New Year
-
We are about to experience the most social upheaval since industrialization.
What will that look like in sixty years?
Sinless is starting it's third yea...
Meet the New Blog
-
Harbinger of Doom got its start in Blogger back in November of 2010. Web
design standards have moved on and left it looking a bit long in the tooth.
Theref...
The Old School (Hyperborean) Renaissance
-
Are these poorly-masked adventure hooks? Yes, yes they are.
For the last century a peculiar fever has gripped the learned societies of
Marlinko, Kezmaro...
Angels, Demons and Subtle Bodies
-
It’s delightful when D&D-isms sometimes converge with ancient wisdom, even
accidentally. I was watching a video from Jonathan Pageau earlier today
concerni...
The River and the River
-
Near the Amazonian city of Manaus there is a place where the Amazon proper
(the upper section of which in Brazil is called the Rio Solimões) meets the
R...
You Suffer--But Why?
-
*My Weird, Dark, Twisted Habit*
Seventeen years ago. (Seventeen years ago?) When I started this blog, that
is, when I decided to take on another thing ...
New BX Character Class: Ronin
-
I had a page in the CX1: Character Class Codes marked for a samurai, but
feel like a ronin is a better fit. So here's my take on it...
-------------------...
There Were Dice
-
I started my Spelljammer game last weekend. It was my first time DMing
since December 2021. I wasn't as rusty as I thought I was going to be, but
I *was ...
Another week in the life of GURPS
-
This week is named Hugh. The news:
• Another week balanced between writing and project management on things I
can't share right now.
• My updates to the W...
Can I Use NIGHT SHIFT for an SCP Tabletop RPG?
-
Crossposted to the *Elf Lair Games* blog.
My kids got me into SCP.
Or, more accurately, they told me all about it, pointed me toward the Wiki,
and then ...
I think if you're using GURPS now, you've won. No need to move to anything else. Most other accounts report that the other guys in the group would play anything but GURPS. I wish I had your group/luck.
ReplyDeleteGURPS is always a great way to go. And really, GURPS can be just as old school as any other system. You just don't need all the funny dice.
ReplyDeleteIt took a really long time to get this started, not a lot of work exactly but patience.
ReplyDeleteIt can be argued that GURPS is an old school game in the sense that it was first released (in the form to Man to Man) in the Mid 80's.
But I agree with both y'all and thanks for the posts
Play what you love, man.
ReplyDeleteGURPS isn't "old-school" becasue it is still supported by it's original publisher in a version of the game that still resembles the original release. Sounds like a silly argument really, but that's got to be it right?
ReplyDelete